Objectives:
To
know what a poem looks like in English.
To learn new vocabulary.
To recognize the rhythm in the English words.
Materials: All my great excuses by Kenn Nesbitt
To learn new vocabulary.
To recognize the rhythm in the English words.
Materials: All my great excuses by Kenn Nesbitt
Activity:
1. The teacher will give to every child a poem cut out in different parts:
1. The teacher will give to every child a poem cut out in different parts:
2. The students must restore the poem as they consider.
3. At the end of the activity the teacher will read the original poem and the students can ask everything they want about it. The teacher has to make sure they have understood it!
4. Can you think about any other excuse?
All my great excuses
I started on
my homework
but my pen ran out of ink.
My hamster ate my homework.
My computer's on the blink.
I accidentally dropped it
in the soup my mom was cooking.
My brother flushed it down the toilet
when I wasn't looking.
My mother ran my homework
through the washer and the dryer.
An airplane crashed into our house.
My homework caught on fire.
Tornadoes blew my notes away.
Volcanoes struck our town.
My notes were taken hostage
by an evil killer clown.
Some aliens abducted me.
I had a shark attack.
A pirate swiped my homework
and refused to give it back.
I worked on these excuses
so darned long my teacher said,
"I think you'll find it's easier
to do the work instead."
but my pen ran out of ink.
My hamster ate my homework.
My computer's on the blink.
I accidentally dropped it
in the soup my mom was cooking.
My brother flushed it down the toilet
when I wasn't looking.
My mother ran my homework
through the washer and the dryer.
An airplane crashed into our house.
My homework caught on fire.
Tornadoes blew my notes away.
Volcanoes struck our town.
My notes were taken hostage
by an evil killer clown.
Some aliens abducted me.
I had a shark attack.
A pirate swiped my homework
and refused to give it back.
I worked on these excuses
so darned long my teacher said,
"I think you'll find it's easier
to do the work instead."
(by Kenn Nesbitt)
- Nesbitt, K. (2007). Revenge of the Lunch Ladies: The Hilarious Book of School Poetry. Meadowbrook Press.


Hello! I am your classmate Irune.
ResponderEliminarI only want to tell you that I really like your blog. In my opinion you`ve done attractive and interesting activities; especially I like the Kenn Nesbitt´s poem about excuses, very funny. Well done;)
I forgot saying, that I like the colours you have used and the background, very motivating for children. In general, the blogs works well, i haven´t had problems, and there aren´t any annoying ads.
ResponderEliminarChildren can learn very much with these activity (poems, English vocabulary, ryhtem...) and enhance creativity.
Hi Marta! Congratulations on your blog! It is a very complete and a useful one. I would like you to know that I find it very helpful and I have included some of your suggested activities into my lesson plans for next week. I especially enjoy " All my great excuses", from my point of you , it is a great poem to practise pronunciation, intonation, puntuation and it is so much fun because it rhymes and young learners are excellent at reading rhymes, just because they find it enjoyable and motivating. Thanks so much for your ideas!
ResponderEliminarNuria.
Congrats for your blog, Marta!
ResponderEliminarYour webpage is really nice! There are different types of activities which are interactive and contain interesting learning skills. The blog design is fun and colourful and it's also good organized.
The “Excuses”' activity is very useful for the students because they will not just enjoy doing it but they will learn reading comprehension and new vocabulary. Working with that kind of poems is a good idea because you're treating different types of texts and it's also hilarious which make the activity enjoyable for them.
Thank you,
Sergio García Hidalgo